The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Aftershave / Balm Recommendation

I am a night shaver.
I started shaving at night because of the extensive razor burn that I would get by using a razor and needed time for my neck to calm down before putting on a shirt and tie. I can say that I now have zero razor burn when I shave, but still shave at night because of the second reason...I hate mornings! I struggle to get out of bed in the morning and thus I don't make time to shave in the morning. There are some times in which I do shave in the early evening and I enjoy because I get to enjoy some of the aftershaves that I have.
Most of the AS that I have are more of a cologne scent (clubman pinaud, gillette cool wave) and some of the AS balms that I have are Kenneth Cole Black Bold and Kenneth Cole Reaction. I also have a bottle of Florida water that I am enjoying.
I do have one AS from Stirling (almond creme) and a Balm from Oleo (melonade) that I use but am about out of. I have enjoyed both of these.

My questions are these:
1- What AS and AS Balm smells most like Aventus and Irish Green Tweed in your experiences. Does Stirling's offering smell pretty close to these scents?
2- What other AS would you recommend while wearing a suit and tie?
3- What AS would you recommend / enjoy smelling while laying down to get some sleep. I am leaning more towards citrus smells in this category.

I realize that YMMV but I haven't ventured out too far in the AS market and am really looking for what some of your favorites are. I typically wear a balm over the AS because I need the extra moisturizing which also cuts down on the fragrance level some. I would also like to match a cologne to the AS that I ultimately end up with.
I must also say that my wife hated the clubman pinaud but doesn't mind the clubman vanilla scent...but it isn't her favorite.

I would appreciate your comments and thoughts.

I'm sure there will be plenty of recommendations to come through and I could give a list of some different ones. 1 economical and staple one I would consider would be proraso green splash. A pleasant but not a heavy scent and a good feeling one for the skin. A not as economical choice but one well worth the money for healing the skin is any scent of Ethos Skin Food splash you like from @Dragonsbeard .

Last edited:
Suit and Tie - Razorock XXX, Fine American Blend
To bed, I love Captain's Choice Bay Rum
I've never smelled Irish Green Tweed or Aventus.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm sure there will be plenty of recommendations to come through and I could give a list of some different ones. 1 economical and staple one I would consider would be proraso green splash. A pleasant but not a heavy scent and a good feeling one for the skin. A not as economical choice but one well worth the money for healing the skin is any scent of Ethos Skin Food splash you like from @Dragonsbeard .
Thanks Dave I will look into the Ethos offerings!

1- What AS and AS Balm smells most like Aventus and Irish Green Tweed in your experiences. Does Stirling's offering smell pretty close to these scents?
You're going to want to read this:

2- What other AS would you recommend while wearing a suit and tie?
You can wear whatever you want! Personally I'd stick with the classics: Any vintage Avon, Aqua Velva, AV Musk, Bay Rum, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Brut, Pitralon Classic, Booster Mosswood, Sir Irisch Moos, Stetson, Clubman Special Reserve or any of Clubman's new Reserve line.
3- What AS would you recommend / enjoy smelling while laying down to get some sleep. I am leaning more towards citrus smells in this category.
Speick! Nice clean citrusy scent, that doesn't last very long so would be a great bedtime scent, and one of the healthiest for your skin.
Lavender scents are popular with night shavers as it is calming and helps you go to sleep.
A mild Bay Rum like Superior 70.
Any good lime AS like Pinaud Citrus Musk, ETHOS/CBL Fresh Lime, Booster Lime, Citrocol, Etc......

You're going to want to read this:

Thanks I did read through that, I am hoping to find which one smells most like the original, not just ones that mimic the scent. But It is a great read!

Speick! Nice clean citrusy scent, that doesn't last very long so would be a great bedtime scent, and one of the healthiest for your skin.
Lavender scents are popular with night shavers as it is calming and helps you go to sleep.
A mild Bay Rum like Superior 70.
Any good lime AS like Pinaud Citrus Musk, ETHOS/CBL Fresh Lime, Booster Lime, Citrocol, Etc......
Any good places that you have found Speick for sale?

Thanks!

Stirling Sharp Dressed Man is a Green Irish Tweed clone and they have it in soap, balm, splash, witch hazel, and the EdT. I have not smelled Creed GIT to compare it to, but I really enjoy the smell of it.
Stirling Executive Man is a Aventus clone and they also offer it in their soap, aftershaves, and EdT and it smells really good too.
ETHOS Succès is similar to Aventus, but more pineapple forward in my opinion and smells amazing.

As far as scents I use when I dress up, for me it depends on the time of the year. Around Fall/Winter I would use darker scents like Dragonsbeard, Rossa, Stirling Gentleman, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille clones, SV Cosmo and so forth. In the Spring/Summer I would probably lean towards the Creed clones and especially ETHOS Succès. SV offers some lighter scents that are considered complex and high class, but I would consult @BarberDave on that as he is more familiar with them. The classics are also very nice and I noticed that once I transferred them into glass bottles the smell projects better and lasts longer.

For night shaves I enjoy lavender scents or anything really light.

For added skin benefits, if you like the scent projection of splashes over balms I would recommend incorporating Hyaluronic Acid to your aftershave routine. It traps moisture in the skin vs. on top of the skin. Witch Hazel and Tea Tree are said to be better for your skin than alcohol although some disagree.

I hope this helps!

Stirling Sharp Dressed Man is a Green Irish Tweed clone and they have it in soap, balm, splash, witch hazel, and the EdT. I have not smelled Creed GIT to compare it to, but I really enjoy the smell of it.
Stirling Executive Man is a Aventus clone and they also offer it in their soap, aftershaves, and EdT and it smells really good too.
ETHOS Succès is similar to Aventus, but more pineapple forward in my opinion and smells amazing.

As far as scents I use when I dress up, for me it depends on the time of the year. Around Fall/Winter I would use darker scents like Dragonsbeard, Rossa, Stirling Gentleman, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille clones, SV Cosmo and so forth. In the Spring/Summer I would probably lean towards the Creed clones and especially ETHOS Succès. SV offers some lighter scents that are considered complex and high class, but I would consult @BarberDave on that as he is more familiar with them. The classics are also very nice and I noticed that once I transferred them into glass bottles the smell projects better and lasts longer.

For night shaves I enjoy lavender scents or anything really light.

For added skin benefits, if you like the scent projection of splashes over balms I would recommend incorporating Hyaluronic Acid to your aftershave routine. It traps moisture in the skin vs. on top of the skin. Witch Hazel and Tea Tree are said to be better for your skin than alcohol although some disagree.

I hope this helps!
This is great!
Thank you for the information.

I really like Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic; very light citrus scent, and feels great on the face. This is a good one for evening shaves.

As far as balms, Lather & Wood balms are great; the Barbershop scent is nice and classic, would be a good one with suit and tie. They have a good Bay Rum scent, also. I found that most balms don't do well with my skin, but these scents were great.

For Summer Pat, 70th Anniversary Hands down, Stella Alpina, Dolomiti, Manna Di Sicilia as well

Back