The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Adventures in Straights

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
Okay everyone I was graciously sent 6 Straights to "play" with restoring by Dr Chris Moss From Canada..
Here are 2 of them after an initial cleaning and the black scale razor had micro chips on the edge as did the other boker. As I got the chips out of the black one I realized I had cut myself and didn't even feel it ! This got me wondering. Well somehow as I removed the chips on it I sharpened it too !! This was the first straight I have ever gotten an edge that was also a shaving edge !!! I was so excited ( crazy I was happy I cut myself huh ? ) Well I removed the chips from the other one and got a good edge on it too without cutting myself this time.... Thanks Chris for these and I wanted to get these posted as soon as possible before his hospital visit later this month... I know I still have some work to do on them but I'm thinking of not doing much to the etched one because I want to keep the etching..

1.jpg
IMG_20201002_163055824.jpg
IMG_20201002_163138179.jpg
IMG_20201002_163119469.jpg

okay I decided I wanted to see if I could print a set of scales on a 3d printer and I think they came out okay.. I need to make a thicker wedge though because the one i printed wasnt thick enough.. I am thinking of printing a second wedge and just doubling them..
IMG_20201005_193339345.jpg

okay I decided I wanted to see if I could print a set of scales on a 3d printer and I think they came out okay.. I need to make a thicker wedge though because the one i printed wasnt thick enough.. I am thinking of printing a second wedge and just doubling them..
View attachment 37183
nice design. i have a couple razors i need to get scales printed for. thinking about how to handle the wedge/spacer has been the main thing keeping me from getting started. i think i'm gonna go with a spacer for the first run and see how that goes.

nice design. i have a couple razors i need to get scales printed for. thinking about how to handle the wedge/spacer has been the main thing keeping me from getting started. i think i'm gonna go with a spacer for the first run and see how that goes.
If you get an stl file make sure you print double or triple of the wedges because the stock print ones are not thick enough... Oh also if you get the same file I used for these make sure you resize the file before printing because the stock file is about 114 mm in length while the average length of the needed scales is about 146 mm....

Back