The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Tribute to a friend

Dragonsbeard

Shave Enthusiast
Artisan Retailer
I recently lost my very best shaving friend of over 8 years. His screen name is Mark aka @ShaveMD. This was a tough one as Mark and I became shaving buddies on another forum back when I started doing Shave Offs and he messaged me with some questions about some of the razors I was using in the Shave Offs and a Shave Technique I had developed and so we set up a phone chat and that was it we remained buddy’s and talked on the phone at least 3 or 4 times a week. He was a good honest very hard working Doctor ( Anesthesiologist) who spent many long days in the OR and during the worse times of Covid he’d put in 12 to 14 hrs a day. Also to describe the type of person he was during the worse of the Covid Pandemic knowing that i live alone he’d call me every single night at 7 pm before his night shave to check up on me to see if I was ok. Throughout the years we sent razors back and forth to each other to try out and we both went down the collectors rabbit hole together. So the short of it is Mark had a life long battle with a bad case of Asthma and a few months ago he finally got Covid after all that time being exposed to it each and every day as he was in one of the worst areas in the USA for Covid where they were losing a lot of people every day. Anyway after he got Covid he mentioned to me that his Asthma got noticeably worse but never went into detail. I later learned from his family that he was really struggling. His wife said he’d be out of breath just going from the kitchen to the bedroom. He never told me it was that bad but that was Mark. One strong individual.

Mark was the one who talked me into creating ETHOS Grooming Essentials as he knew I’d been developing personal care products for 20 + years. So if it wasn’t for Mark there wouldn’t be an ETHOS. He encouraged me and gave me sound advice when I needed it and I’m missing my buddy!

After talking with his family I decided to make a tribute Shave Soap and Skin Food Splash with his Screen name on it Shave MD. The scent I choose was a no brainer for me because I had made him a Custom Shave soap I thought he could use for the hot summer months as he was pretty much down to using only my Lavender Shave soap and the Clean Unscented because of his Asthma, especially post Covid. So the Aroma Blend I made him was Organic Sicilian Lemon Essential Oil , Organic Calabrian Lime Essential Oil and Ginger Essential oil with just a bit of Green Mint Absolute. He called it “ Ginger Ale “ which I had a good laugh about when he told me cause it did kind of had that vibe to it. A Fresh & Clean scent. He only used it once after getting it and said now I have my new Summer Shave soap as it doesn’t bother my allergies! Unfortunately he never got to use it again.

I’m donating minus my cost all of the proceeds of the sales of the Products to Marks favorite charity, which is the Ronald Mc Donald House for Children. Speaking of Children Mark was a great family man and he had only one his daughter Ashley. He was a grandfather already and he was looking very forward to his 2nd grandchild as Ashley was having another. The baby was born 7 days after his passing!
Mark was only 59 yrs old! So way before his time.

Below is a photo of the Shave Soap and Skin Food Splash. We recently renamed the Collection “ Tribute Collection “ instead of Lost Souls as I thought that was a little morbid as I’d rather pay tribute to his life.

Miss ya buddy…

76B87A00-3D63-4E04-B0BB-BD961124EE42.jpeg

BEED74CB-CE70-4293-8207-99A17E170C6E.jpeg

This is so heartbreaking! And saddens me. I remember having a couple conversations with Mark online. It was a while ago...but I can still remember it. I know it is said a lot, but truly, I will say a prayer for Mark's Family and for you. I think Tribute collection is a better way to remember your friend. Be at peace.

Barber Dave informed us of his passing a month ago. I did not know him well or recall seeing his posts much here, or elsewhere. But it is sad when I hear of friends passing, even online friends. You have made a very nice tribute to him and I know he's happy about that. It's good to know that a small part of the hobby will live on in his name. I look forward to its release.

So sorry to hear this… He was a nice guy for sure. We’ll be praying for him, wonderful way to remember him.

So sorry to hear of Shave MD's passing. I certainly remember him well from the other forum, and he always struck me as a good guy, with a passion for shaving.
Beautiful tribute, and when I'm stateside next, I'll make this my first Ethos purchase as well.

I’d like to thank you all for the thoughtful words. I’ll miss his phone conversations that always started and finished with “ Hey Buddy “
Id like to also thank this hobby of ours for allowing me to get to know a lot of really awesome people and Mark was certainly one of them and a soul that will be truly be missed in my life.

We met in person at one of the Maggards Shave Meets and he was looking forward to another one when the Covid calmed down and they would start up again. I’m 100% positive he would be at the Cadres meet up in Ohio in October as that’s were he lived.

Once again Thank you and I’ll pass your messages on to the family.

As Mark would say…

Health and Happiness!

Frank

Last edited:
The Timeless Ti .68 was one of his favorite daily set ups and a scent that is reminiscent to a sparkling ginger ale as his preferred scent, the Ethos Shave MD commemorative soap/splash. Tomorrow morning I will honor my friend Mark D. Thank you Frank Dragonsbeard for this wonderful Tribute Collection soap/splash combo. I might have to ask you for an edp custom make up of this scent. The scent is wonderfully light, airy and as natural as it can get. Mark D. picked a real clean and natural scent creation as his signature soap & splash set up.

Rest in eternal peace my brother…..

2796031C-9468-4620-AA34-153FCA662111.jpeg

The Timeless Ti .68 was one of his favorite daily set ups and a scent that is reminiscent to a sparkling ginger ale as his preferred scent, the Ethos Shave MD commemorative soap/splash. Tomorrow morning I will honor my friend Mark D. Thank you Frank Dragonsbeard for this wonderful Tribute Collection soap/splash combo. I might have to ask you for an edp custom make up of this scent. The scent is wonderfully light, airy and as natural as it can get. Mark D. picked a real clean and natural scent creation as his signature soap & splash set up.

Rest in eternal peace my brother…..

View attachment 89441
Hi Gus

Great Tribute SOTD photo and thank you for the kind words . Mark surely did like his Timeless Ti .68 as a daily shaver and he was a daily shaver. Every night at 8pm like clockwork. Many a night he’d call me around 7 -7:15 and we’d talk and then when it was close to 8 pm he’d say well buddy I gotta get my shave on and then hit the bed as he’d have to be at work at 4am. I’m glad you like the scent. Marks Ginger Ale .

Stay safe and healthy my friend!

😊💪🏼

Back