The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Tale of Three Micromatics

Spider

"The Cadre Constable"
Veteran
Legacy
Concierge
So, recently there was some confusion between the different GEM Micromatic models.

First of all, what makes a Gem a Micromatic is the fact that it is a Twist to Open, or TTO razor. All Micromatics came in both a silver tone and a gold tone finish.

The first Micromatic has an Open Comb, and is commonly referred to as the MMOC.

The next Micromatic has a solid safety bar. It is called the Clog Pruf and says Clog Pruf inside the razor head. It is referred to as the MMCP.

The last Micromatic has a rounded TTO knob and, as a result, is often called a bullet tip. However it was officially called the Flying Wing and is referred to as the MMFW. The small circle on the head is a feature called the Guiding Eye. There is also a variant with a plastic TTO knob.

And just to differentiate the TTO Micromatics from the flip top GEMs, here is the MMFW next to a Heavy Flat Top, its official name. This razor is incorrectly referred to as the G-Bar, due to the G on the side of the handle.

Very good information KJ! I’ve been confused for a long time apparently ?! However now I need you to know that the two clog prufs in your photo have the same difference as my two. My nickel finished one has less knobs on the comb than my gold finished or soon to be DE finished one does!

Very good information KJ!My nickel finished one has less knobs on the comb than my gold finished or soon to be DE finished one does!
I know there are other differences, but I don’t know if it’s a gold/silver difference or more likely a difference over the years.

Great write up. I always wondered what exactly they were talking about with the MMOC.

KJ thanks for putting this together. A lot of great information!

I hate resurrecting such old threads, but I definitely have a question that pertains... Ugh, I'm sorry folks.

For a while I had two bullet tips (MMFW). After maybe a dozen shaves, I felt it was a bit too rough for my tastes. I ended up PIF'ing them both.

I recently stumbled upon a Clog Pruf (MMCP). It's still on its way from the seller, but I'm curious how they compare.

In the end it probably doesn't really matter. It was super cheap. So my initial thought was buy this, clean it up, and gift it to someone who either likes SE or wants to try one for the first time. Still, I'd be remiss if I didn't give it a test shave or two. So I definitely like to know what I'm getting into. Lol.

Thanks everyone / anyone who can provide some info.

I hate resurrecting such old threads, but I definitely have a question that pertains... Ugh, I'm sorry folks.

For a while I had two bullet tips (MMFW). After maybe a dozen shaves, I felt it was a bit too rough for my tastes. I ended up PIF'ing them both.

I recently stumbled upon a Clog Pruf (MMCP). It's still on its way from the seller, but I'm curious how they compare.

In the end it probably doesn't really matter. It was super cheap. So my initial thought was buy this, clean it up, and gift it to someone who either likes SE or wants to try one for the first time. Still, I'd be remiss if I didn't give it a test shave or two. So I definitely like to know what I'm getting into. Lol.

Thanks everyone / anyone who can provide some info.
No worries about old threads. They're here to help and anything added helps down the road. @Spider would be the best to ring in and no doubt will. My understanding is the Clog Pruf is more mild than the MMOC. By how much I don't know (y)

No worries about old threads. They're here to help and anything added helps down the road. @Spider would be the best to ring in and no doubt will. My understanding is the Clog Pruf is more mild than the MMOC. By how much I don't know (y)
Thanks. MMOC would have been a no-go at purchase, lol. I had a MMFW / bullet tip.

For. Comparison, Beyond the bullet tip, I have only tried a 1912 (still have) and a Feather Weight, which was too "tuggy"... I don't think the blade was able to even do its job effectively.

Thanks in advance @Spider for any guidance you can offer.

Thanks. MMOC would have been a no-go at purchase, lol. I had a MMFW / bullet tip.

For. Comparison, I have only tried a 1912 (still have) and a Feather Weight, which was too "tuggy"... I don't think the blade was able to even do its job effectively.

Thanks in advance @Spider for any guidance you can offer.
Gotcha, G-Bar was the only one I found that has been a go for me so far. Had a 1912 and ????
IMG_20191126_132449219.jpg

Gotcha, G-Bar was the only one I found that has been a go for me so far. Had a 1912 and ????
View attachment 12160
... and a featherweight. It was very mild , to the point of inefficiency and uncomfortability...

Plus my Bullet Tips (aka Flying Wings or MMFW).
954040e568bc3bee3784438c1445650d.jpg

No problem resurrecting old threads..... the only down side to this one is that it was created before the Forum migrated to it's new platform and all my pics are gone.

Generally speaking in terms of aggressiveness.....

MMOC > MMCP > MMFW > HFT > FW

But this is my opinion, and your mileage may vary.

No problem resurrecting old threads..... the only down side to this one is that it was created before the Forum migrated to it's new platform and all my pics are gone.

Generally speaking in terms of aggressiveness.....

MMOC > MMCP > MMFW > HFT > FW

But this is my opinion, and your mileage may vary.
That's helpful. I will be very wary when I finally test it out. I don't foresee myself liking it enough to keep it, so it will be experience both in cleaning up a razor and trying out a new (to me) one.

Much appreciated.

Back