The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A solid first slant?

Clemson Tiger

Jr. Shave Member
So I’m sitting at home, the wife and daughter are out & I’m staring at the fish tank- and after that was no longer interesting (lol) I put the YouTube’s up in the boob tube and started scrolling razor vids- and stopped when I got to one about slants. I’ve never used one, held or seen one- so I watched- and was intrigued- the guy said it’s not really for beginners- and the devil on my shoulder in a British accent said “oh, we graciously accept the challenge…” So: I looked around- I saw Parker, Merkur, & RazoRock. The RazoRock looks like a 37/9c knockoff- but wondered if it shaved like a knockoff.The price range of the Merkur is the most I’m willing to pay- and I don’t want a half slant or semi. I’m kinda eyeing the 37c because the grip on the sledgehammer looks like it would slip if you’re right handed & the 37 doesn’t look like that’s an issue- Any slant hounds wanna weigh in? I have 34c, DL89, gem jr, and the gem micro bullet. Oh and a SuperSpeed. Those are my safety razors. I know nothing about slants- or even where to start, Lol- haven’t bought a safety razor in 12 years or so- thanks fellas!

None of the above mentioned slants are a bad place to start. I’ve had a couple slants - the RR and the iKon x3. Tried to love em but they just weren’t for me. The shaves were always a little rough. Some guys love em though!

I never tried one myself, but this is a good thread to read up on. I've considered many times picking up a Hoffritz Slant, but the PRICE......

I have a few of them, both vintage and modern. But like Chris, I never really liked them. They have a rough or aggressive feel to them. Do you like aggressive razors?

In my opinion, you should start with a Merkur, if you’re going to get one.

I have a few of them, both vintage and modern. But like Chris, I never really liked them. They have a rough or aggressive feel to them. Do you like aggressive razors?

In my opinion, you should start with a Merkur, if you’re going to get one.
Yeah- I’m at the point where I’ve been wet shaving for half my life, having used straights, SE’s, DE’s, I absolutely love VDH blades in my SuperSpeed because that thing drives garbage blades like Dale Sr., lol- minus the wrecks- (bad analogy)- so yeah- aggressive maybe - but I think different is more what I’m after. Another way to skin this cat. Something else to tame. I’m also eyeballing adjustables. “Aggressive” just tells me “let the weight do the work”. All I own is a DL89, 34c, SuperSpeed, gem jr, Micromatic, and straights. Last safety razor I bought was in like 2011…lol- On paper I own newbie razors- lol- but they’re awesome shavers! I mean master a razor ya master a technique- grab another razor, ya learn it’s quirks- lol- so sheer boredom is why I’m after a slant when it comes down to it 🤣😂🤣

Last edited:
FOCS(2).Gold.Chrome.Piled.640JPG.JPG

I have a bunch of slants albeit not in the league with some guys. I'd suggest the FOCS.

A good slant is very easy to use. The trick is to treat it just like you'd use any other DE. The FOCS is particularly easy to use, very smooth, not prone to being aggressive, but quite efficient and effective. Plus, it's inexpensive and yet all metal (brass). In addition, the FOCS looks very cool.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 80572

I have a bunch of slants albeit not in the league with some guys. I'd suggest the FOCS.

A good slant is very easy to use. The trick is to treat it just like you'd use any other DE. The FOCS is particularly easy to use, very smooth, not prone to being aggressive, but quite efficient and effective. Plus, it's inexpensive and yet all metal (brass). In addition, the FOCS looks very cool.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Awesome- I’ll look into it- that seems to be a common word regarding slants- “efficient”. I’ve embraced the dark side and played with straight razors- open comb SE’s, and “efficient” isn’t a word that came up until I heard about slants- so my curiosity is up there again and so yeah- here I am again only this time I’m only buying one friggin razor 😂🤣 not 3 😂🤣

The Icon X3 Slant head is a good fairly inexpensive option that is interchangeable with most razor handles.

PAA also had some interesting looking ones as well but have not us3d any of their razors. Same goes for Fine.

Back