The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

a question about coticules

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
So i decided to give my coticule a try while my whetstones were soaking. when i was trying to build a slurry with it i noticed the stone felt really grabby while trying to build up a slurry. is this normal for coticules. i notice when i build up a slurry on synthetic stones they dont seem so grabby. any thoughts would be apreciated. also when building a slurry is it better to use the middle of the coticule rather than the edges? thanks again

Last edited:
I've never noticed mine being grabby when making a slurry. I use the flat of my slurry stone and go evenly over the whole works. I've seen guys use their lapping plate to flatten and slurry at the same time, but that sounds a bit extreme to me.

If you are rubbing 2 coticule’s together to make a slurry it is highly likely what you are feeling is ‘suction’ or ‘stiction’ caused by both surfaces being very flat and smooth…like rubbing 2 pieces of wet glass together. You can try using the edge of the slurry stone rather than laying it flat that might help get things started. You might also find your stone will ‘auto-slurry’ if you apply a little more firm pressure with the blade

This is a common deal for one of my coticules(not really an issue for me). If I slurry with just a little water, it turns to mud in a hurry and the slurry stone really sticks to the surface. The other two I don't have an issue with, though they are smaller than the slurry stone I use, so this could have something to do with it.

Back