The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A First for Me

beginish

The Dr. Who of the TSC
I have been taking part in the 2020-Year of the Synth thread, and as I have 6 synthetic brushes, will be putting them to use twice for a month at a time this year. I am currently using my Kent Infinity Silvertex synthetic for the second run this year. Its fibers are the generation just before the outstanding synths made by Mühle and Plisson. In other words, lathers fine, not fun to use.

I noticed a week ago that it had dropped a fiber or two. It’s notable because I had never seen any of my synthetics drop a fiber. Ever. Fast forward a week and it’s dropping 4-5 per shave. I can pull loose ones from the knot! This would be my second shedder. I never expected the synths to shed for some reason, always assuming that the badgers and boars do so because the natural fiber degrades and pulls loose. How could a petroleum product do that? I don’t know, but they do. If it were the Chubby, I’d be upset about it. This one? Not so much.

I have not had any of my 4 synths shed as of yet.

I’d guess along the lines of what Dave said...likely the knot making process was lacking at the time of manufacture. Maybe an inferior glue or poorly done glue bump.

I have not had any of my 4 synths shed as of yet.

I’d guess along the lines of what Dave said...likely the knot making process was lacking at the time of manufacture. Maybe an inferior glue or poorly done glue bump.
Or poor fibers that getting bent back and forth snapping at that level is what I was thinking.

Or poor fibers that getting bent back and forth snapping at that level is what I was thinking.
Oh, maybe. I always saw the earlier synthetic fibers as less friendly because they felt thicker and too sturdy. 🤷‍♂️

They ae to be pulling loose more than snapping. I agree with the issue of fiber thickness. They may be too thick and less resilient to stand up to load it like you hate it loading.

Weird. I've had synths drop a few "hairs" at the beginning, but not after they're broken in. If it's an older generation synth, make it'll get better after losing some fibers?

The knot has been rock solid until now. I don’t soak the brush in hot water, but I do load vigorously and face lather with gusto.

The knot has been rock solid until now. I don’t soak the brush in hot water, but I do load vigorously and face lather with gusto.
Strange. You think the current crop is a better product, or "back in the day" the mfg. process was just still learning the ropes?

I'd hate to think it's an "aging" problem. What will today's synthetics be like in 10 years?

That's definitely bad luck with the brush. I don't think I have had one fiber shed from one of my synthetic brushes. Even the real cheap ones.

I watched a clip online a long time ago of the mfg. process of a DE blade. Does anyone know if a simple thing exists for a synthetic brush? Specifically, are they melted/fused together at the base or glued?

Seems to me if it is feasible, fusing them together would make it more difficult to shed.

Strange. You think the current crop is a better product, or "back in the day" the mfg. process was just still learning the ropes?

I'd hate to think it's an "aging" problem. What will today's synthetics be like in 10 years?
At the cheap price they are? In 10 years they'll be, in a word.......Replaceable

Spot on. At that point, you'll be paying for brand name and handle materials.

That's definitely bad luck with the brush. I don't think I have had one fiber shed from one of my synthetic brushes. Even the real cheap ones.

It dropped about 10 more this morning. Again, I'm not too bothered by it since it works but is not a favorite.

I watched a clip online a long time ago of the mfg. process of a DE blade. Does anyone know if a simple thing exists for a synthetic brush? Specifically, are they melted/fused together at the base or glued?

Seems to me if it is feasible, fusing them together would make it more difficult to shed.

I'm hoping one of our brush artisans or rehabbers who actually work with the stock knots can chime in on this question.

Pretty rare for a synth to shed... at least from my experience.

Maybe just re-knot it?

I'm a huge fan of this synth knot at only $9:

Back