The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A few brush restores

I have the same brush in the middle, but the metal plating is peeling off mine. :(

Mine was pretty gnarly when I got it, but some elbow grease and Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound worked wonders..

Thanks. Not sure if they're still available, but he was selling regular oliveweood, which I have, and also burl handles as well. A bit pricier but very beautiful.

Thanks. Not sure if they're still available, but he was selling regular oliveweood, which I have, and also burl handles as well. A bit pricier but very beautiful.
The ladies look lovely... I'm sure someone has mentioned this somewhere on this forum, have yet to find anyways but how do you get the old knot out? I'd like to repurpose an old Surrey I picked up on the bay of E. Got 2 but one sheds real bad and would like to put a Maggards 70/30 I have on hand. Never attempted before. Can you just boil it out?

The ladies look lovely... I'm sure someone has mentioned this somewhere on this forum, have yet to find anyways but how do you get the old knot out? I'd like to repurpose an old Surrey I picked up on the bay of E. Got 2 but one sheds real bad and would like to put a Maggards 70/30 I have on hand. Never attempted before. Can you just boil it out?
I've done 1 boil successfully and 1 destroyed. I now cut and Drill/Dremel them out

U bet...got them cheap on the bay so if I destroy it still have one. Thanks again for pointing me to that thread
Don't boil. First just grab the hair and pull and twist, sometimes you get lucky, If not, cut the hair down flush and drill several 1/4" holes in there and start breaking it out from the center, final cleanup with a drum sander on a dremel. Easy man, a child could do it. ;)

Great job! Except for those "plastic" knots. ;)
Lol. I have used badger and boar quite a bit but prefer the modern generation of synthetic knots.

The boil/steaming method can ruin old handles, especially if they are hollow. The air inside expands and will deform the handles when they are soft.
The cut the knot, drill and Dremel is the best method.

Back