The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Favorite Book...

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
So I know we have the "What are you Reading Thread" going on. But I thought we could create a place for some of our favorite books. I have a few that I find are just the absolutely best of the best in my life. And I find it interesting what others think are that special book. So go ahead and every now and then list that book that really made an impression in your life.

One of these books for me was "A Golden Age" by Tahmima Anam.

I have to admit...that this was required reading in my Post Colonial Literature class while I was at LSU. But I fell in love with it and have read it two other times since. It's a book of the Historical Fiction genre and follows the life of a woman who was widowed and struggles to keep her family together. The setting of the book takes place during the Second Partition of Pakistan or also called the Bangladesh War of Independence. I know this isn't going to sound very interesting to many people...but this is a classic "don't judge a book by its cover" experience. The writing is amazing and the story, especially for a work of fiction, seems so personal. Yeah...I geeked out over it. But if you are interested in reading a very well written book and learning a bit of history that isn't often talked about in our part of the world...then check this one out!

The most enjoyable book I’ve read in the last 5 years is A Month in the Country by JL Carr. It’s the story of a WW I veteran from London who goes to a small town in England to restore a painting in an old country church. The story is great, writing is very good and it’s easy to immerse yourself in the old life in the English countryside. The book is short (less than 200 pages) and jumps right into the story. I highly recommend it.

a-month-in-the-country_2048x2048.jpg

WOW this is a tough one as I have so many

Here is a start

If you like Military Novels it is the 1st of the Patrick McLanihan Series, about a highly modified B-52

This book was given to me by a friend. It is filled with so much hard earned wisdom about all aspects of life. It changed the way I look at everything. I always read non-fiction with a pencil handy to underline and write notes on parts that are impactful to me. I swear I underlined more than half the book. A4753441-8A6F-4D5A-BA3C-E7043DFD99EF.jpeg

Not to sound "Holier than Thou" or anything. I do little what I call extra reading lately and keep meaning to read thru all the Motorcycle Diary books I've accumulated again. My Best Book and favorite for me and I read a portion in it every day is the Bible. Not read like a Novel but with reflection and what it teaches me about my Creator and his Son and how I can better imitate them.................hey, you asked for "favorite" book (y)

I find it so interesting to know what the favorites are. You always get a really diverse selection of titles and it makes me want to read them all! Thanks guys for sharing! And if you have some other absolutely must reads...do not hesitate to post! And Dave @Dave in KY don't ever think we believe you are "holier than thou." I wouldn't call myself a religious man, but I do consider myself a spiritual person. And I will pull out the Bible from time to time and read selections from it. If you can't pull out life lessons and words of wisdom from those books...then I just don't know!

This book was given to me by a friend. It is filled with so much hard earned wisdom about all aspects of life. It changed the way I look at everything. I always read non-fiction with a pencil handy to underline and write notes on parts that are impactful to me. I swear I underlined more than half the book. View attachment 1747
This book has been recommended to me so many times...I just don't know why I haven't at least thumbed through it yet! Everyone that I know has read it has said something similar to what you have said!

Not to sound "Holier than Thou" or anything. I do little what I call extra reading lately and keep meaning to read thru all the Motorcycle Diary books I've accumulated again. My Best Book and favorite for me and I read a portion in it every day is the Bible. Not read like a Novel but with reflection and what it teaches me about my Creator and his Son and how I can better imitate them.................hey, you asked for "favorite" book (y)
Have the whole bible on my phone , look at it daily as I have passages that come up as reminders. Good Stuff!

This is my absolute favorite book. One of the only books I've actually read in the first place (I dislike reading), and the only book I've ever read more than once.

17707.jpg

This is my absolute favorite book. One of the only books I've actually read in the first place (I dislike reading), and the only book I've ever read more than once.

17707.jpg

That's an absolute classic. I'm very sad that we lost Douglas Adams so young.

I always go back to the Iliad! Read it in High School and several times in college. I studied Philosophy and Classics. It was was frequently on a course syllabus. I took Ancient Greek and had to translate the first book. You guys want a challenge, try learning Greek from a second wave feminist Professor who had been a Nun for 20 years before going to academia.

These are recent favorites of mine. Historical Fiction. The story follows multiple families from different parts of the world from just before WWI all the way through the '60's. Really good.

Back