The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A Classic from Eric Sorrentino

@CBLindsay how did you hone that thing? It looks and sounds like an awesome edge!
It wasn‘t as difficult as it was time consumin. I thinned out the “spine” (the back of the axe) and hollowed the blade to take some weight off and attempt to get some sort of geometry established. i also did a fair amount of ”bevel setting” with a power grinder. To get the right spine to edge geometry I taped popsicle sticks to the back. I had to work the “smile” parts totally separate from the main edge then blend everything together by hand. I finished using A variety of coticules, using different size stones to bring it all together. Then I stropped it by moving the leather rather than the blade (a task made far easier using a cloth wheel with paste!)

I made myself a second axe but I am. It sure the edge is still shave ready because I’ve had it in a drawer for a while. I thought about removing “the beard” with it ot @ShawnF ’s custom knife (which I have shaved with on video before but have used it for a number tasks since…so it might not be a good choice either. Shaving is shaving but you have to give Eric credit for being able to handle the weight and odd balance.

Back