The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

A brush scuttle provides the best of both worlds

SM29

Shave Member
I prefer to face lather over bowl lathering. I also like warm lather, hence my dilemma. In exploring the idea of bowl lathering I bought the heavyweight copper Captain’s Choice lather bowl in an effort to give bowl lathering a real good try but for me it is more enjoyable to lather my face and not the bowl and I reverted to face lathering most of the time save a few weekends and holidays.

Then in a scuttle thread on another forum a member referred to the Dirty Bird brush scuttle and I was intrigued. I spoke to Julie at Dirty Bird and learned more and was provided with different color choices. While I was having a custom made brush scuttle I went all in and purchased a matching liquid soap dispenser. The soap dispenser was customized for me to be made without the handle. Even if the scuttle was not to my liking, I would have something to show for this investment.

Everything arrived on Saturday after my shave and had to wait until Sunday for the inaugural use. After two uses, I’m thrilled with the scruttle. It keeps my brush warm for the second and third passes (actually warmer than the first pass when the brush cools during loading). I now have exactly what I was looking for. Face lathering warm lather was my goal and it has been achieved..

Anyone else with similar preferences should certainly investigate the idea of a brush scuttle.
173896BF-1788-42A9-9B0A-64E80CDC39EC.jpeg

Odd man out here, hot tap water on the brush before it goes to the puck, then I lather on top of a puck in a dedicated soap container and put it on my face and scrub it in. No unnecessary paraphernalia for the countertop, and nothing to clean but the brush.

I have always been interested in a scuttle, but have never used one. I enjoy face lathering myself and I only really use my bowl to smear a soft shave soap or a shave soap sample in the bottom so I can load from it.

I remember back in the 2013/2014 time frame (I think) Georgetown Scuttles became a very trendy den item. Aside from probably the first month or so of my wetshaving career, I've been an exclusive face latherer. No bowls or scuttles for me.

What I did discover about a year ago was that the Timeless Shave Bowl is perfect for soaking my brush while I shower, then using as a razor rinse bowl during the shave. I never liked filling up the sink with water because the little whisker fragments would end up remaining when I drained the sink and required splashing and rubbing to clear down the drain. The Timeless is high enough to allow even my biggest brushes to soak and then easy to clean out at the end of the shave!

Pretty strict face latherer here. But I wet my brush with hot water prior to loading, splash hot water on my face prior to lathering, and add hot water to my brush in between passes. I get warm lather without a scuttle.

I've tried many scuttles over the years. I used the small dirtybird scuttle as a brush scuttle (before brush scuttles were a thing). Overall, I didn't get much benefit from them, and thought they were more of a hassle with cleanup, and needing counter space for them (which I don't have).

I'm a face latherer all the way. Not sure how much I would use this but it looks interesting, I may give one a try.

I load off a puck and face lather as well. The brush warmer simply warms the lather / brush while you are shaving.
yep I understand they do I just have never tried one. It sounds like a good idea to me and I may try one.

However, being realistic and knowing myself, I suspect that I will end up echoing KJ's points that it is more trouble than its worth for me.

Unfortunately I have very limited space while shaving, no countertop, just a small amount of sink space (like in the pic below).

1620777861625.png

Back