The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

2020 update- it’s been awhile

CBLindsay

I Blame Dave
Owner
Legacy
It has been quite some time since something new (and EXCITING) has come from the CBL Soap labs so I figured it was time for some updates. 2020 has been something of a u inquest year to say the least so I hope the fact that I haven’t done any major releases (big public ones anyway) is somewhat excusable. I did make a micro batch of an exciting ‘teaser’ release that was planned for Easter, 6 tubs of a premium quality vegan soap made to rival the best French classics we’ve come to know and love. The soaps were made in October of 2019 and aged/dried so by April they would be perfect...I just wasn’t feeling it and let the moment pass. Rather than sell as planned to recoup the R&D I have given a few to some well knows ladies & gents and may hold the others back for Zoom PIFs or ?. BUT what they were meant to tease is still part of the long term plan and since collaborating with Frank (ETHOS grooming essentials) may include an additional twist. More on that in a moment.

Many of you noticed there is another CBL Soap base in the works, some of you have even received a beta version of it. CBL Master Barber is a concept I have had in mind since he beginning, a soap that has the firmness of a puck (like the tonsorial soap base) but the performance characteristics of premium soap (like the premium soap base...or better!) without being too much like either one. I like a super (Uber) premium shave soap just as much as anyone else but I wanted the Master Barber soaps to be the ones that hit high market in EVERY category, including price and approachability. I still think scent is one of the key parts of the experience and the reason we buy so many different soaps (the reason YOU have bought more than one of my soaps and made it possible to explore and invest in new soaps and scents.). I had intended to push this base out as a new part of the brand by now but with the added financial stress everyone is experiencing I didn’t want to give anyone a reason to spend more. My wife isn’t happy about the pile of raw materials (that will slowly become stacks of scented soaps) that won’t be listed for sale until I feel better about separating YOU from your money but that’s just the way it goes my friends.

Now, on to how I plan to separate you from your money!
I have the Master Barber soaps, there may be a few slightly different versions of the base and some scents that are strictly limited edition (for reasons that will be obvious or explained at the time) but my basic intentions are to cut the pucks so they are in the 3 ounce range (2.5-3.5) and I should be able to keep them at or under $12 regardless of the scents being used. I have a killer bay rum (as @mrdoug) that is expensive as all get out but I’ve been buying the oil a little at a time since October anytime I can get it on sale). This one has been going out as samples and I still have some samples that will keep going out.

I have already done a collaboration with frank @Dragonsbeard where I made a modified version of the CBL premium soap base using the ETHOS Grooming Essentials EOS complex and Camels milk (seriously, who thinks of using camels milk? ...who knows WHY to use camels milk? Frank does?) and I made some other modifications based on conversation Frank and I had. This collaboration was meant to help launch Franks ETHOS Grooming Essentials brand and the soap is part of a soap&splash combo that are amazing together (the splash is one of Franks signature items scented with my lime fragrance blend). This collaboration occurred at a time when the world was falling apart (and Frank stopped what he was doing to start making a tanker truck full of hand sanitizer for frontline workers), and involved a lot of time and $$ from both sides to make happen but in the end I think it did exactly what Frank hoped it would, show a little brotherhood amongst the soap making community.

I wish I could tell you more about the last two things I have rolling around in my head waiting to hit the shelves but they are secrets. And they are getting media little bit because of the conversation and collaboration with Frank. I had a couple things planned that come a little close to stepping on Franks toes so I decided to a little so if we go ahead with things we discussed, his things, my things and our things are all WONDERFUL and independent things.

Ok. One little hint about what’s up next (or at least coming soon). Screaming Dolphin Butts

oh yeah, and I have some brushes and a few Kai clones for sale on my website.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any comments on the Bayrum. It really is an amazing soap scent, imo. I didn't know it when I got the sample, but it ended up being the soap every other bay I have smelled was compared to. They all lost, hands down.

@CBLindsay , you should absolutely put them up for sale. People aren't going to stop shopping because you didn't release the soap, they're just going to buy something substandard elsewhere. You're really helping us maximize our use of the almighty dollar when it matters the most.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Excellent post Chris and I'll add it has been a fun collaboration especially considering this crazy environment we are dealing with. I'm looking forward to doing more with you future like we talked about and your right there is no need for all soap makers to step on each others toes. There is room for all of us to enjoy the business of making soaps and other products and helping out each other in times of need.

Kind regards my friend!

Frank

I agree with mrdoug, Chris.... we are still shopping. I've placed a few orders recently, including a couple sets of your ETHOS collaboration (amazing stuff by the way!) If you have product available, I want a crack at it.

Can't wait to try your new products and see what you have coming up in the future. Hopefully an aftershave???

I agree with mrdoug, Chris.... we are still shopping. I've placed a few orders recently, including a couple sets of your ETHOS collaboration (amazing stuff by the way!) If you have product available, I want a crack at it.

Can't wait to try your new products and see what you have coming up in the future. Hopefully an aftershave???
AGREED, The Pierre Cardin Caught my eye as I have the Cologne and actually went to the shop to look for it but it wasn't there...........

While I’ve got a ton of new fragrances to choose from I really am thinking of tightening up the line up so what I have available is unique and sought after but not so diverse that I have tons of scents sitting on the shelf while others are sold out. I can still do special requests and small batch stuff for the forum(s) so those who make any effort at all to ask for something will get what they are looking for.
Speaking of which, I have a bucket of premium base getting ready for some custom scenting requests. I plan to prepare those scents I told you was going to send you about 5 months ago. Better late than never.
AGREED, The Pierre Cardin Caught my eye as I have the Cologne and actually went to the shop to look for it but it wasn't there...........
The Pierre Cardin is a victim of my becoming busy these past couple months and laziness prior to then, it was going to be offered for sale but only half the batch has been packaged and labeled so (like the bay rum). I actually have a puck of the Cardin and something else (not soap) set aside for you, I am still going through my extra stock and surplus eBay buys so I’m not certain my Dave In KY pile isn’t complete yet. I’ll send the soap and whatever else ends up in the pile your way before long.

While I’ve got a ton of new fragrances to choose from I really am thinking of tightening up the line up so what I have available is unique and sought after but not so diverse that I have tons of scents sitting on the shelf while others are sold out. I can still do special requests and small batch stuff for the forum(s) so those who make any effort at all to ask for something will get what they are looking for.
Speaking of which, I have a bucket of premium base getting ready for some custom scenting requests. I plan to prepare those scents I told you was going to send you about 5 months ago. Better late than never.

The Pierre Cardin is a victim of my becoming busy these past couple months and laziness prior to then, it was going to be offered for sale but only half the batch has been packaged and labeled so (like the bay rum). I actually have a puck of the Cardin and something else (not soap) set aside for you, I am still going through my extra stock and surplus eBay buys so I’m not certain my Dave In KY pile isn’t complete yet. I’ll send the soap and whatever else ends up in the pile your way before long.
😲 Thanks Chris, there's 1 soap I was going to order so let me order that and pay shipping and then hold and send with whatever when you want. Does that work ?

😲 Thanks Chris, there's 1 soap I was going to order so let me order that and pay shipping and then hold and send with whatever when you want. Does that work ?
That will work but give me a day or so to finish digging through my pile-o-stuff so I can be sure I got all the little things I set aside here and there thinking you might think it was cool. It’s not a lot and I know I’ll find stuff later but I need to make more room somehow

That will work but give me a day or so to finish digging through my pile-o-stuff so I can be sure I got all the little things I set aside here and there thinking you might think it was cool. It’s not a lot and I know I’ll find stuff later but I need to make more room somehow
Order placed. Take your time and don't worry about sending soon, Thanks ;) or just dump the whole drawer in a shipping box and I'll sort it for you 😂😂😂

Last edited:
Order placed. Take your time and don't worry about sending soon, Thanks ;) or just dump the whole drawer in a shipping box and I'll sort it for you 😂😂😂
You have no idea how close I am to doing that. I literally considered doing that this morning. I was SO close to just listing a flat rate box full of stuff the BST. I have the box full...it’s ready...some awesome stuff I’m there...probably some real trash too.

Very nice to see you working and improving Chris! Thanks for the update and looking forward to seeing your new stuff!

Thanks for the update, Chris. You sent me some of the Master Barber Bay Rum, and I love the scent. If you had it on your site I would be picking up a puck for certain.

Screaming Dolphin Butts
You have piqued my interest, sir.

Back