The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What's it made of...(ask the experts / scales)

OpusX

TSC’s Master of Warp Cores, Alchemy, Ale, & Cider
There are so many different materials for scales, some can be confusing to confirm. Since I am in that boat right now, I thought I would start a thread on the topic.

For me I am looking at this razor. It is Swedish and of the appropriate age to have these coveted, natural material, scales, so I wanted a second set of eyes before I went after it hard. Is this what I think it is?

image_2022-07-12_092256492.png

Ivory for sure, it has Schreger lines and washerless construction. I have some 1870’s ivory that looks very similar.

Go get it!

Lets play again. My guess is dyed horn.

s-l1600.jpg

Lets play again. My guess is dyed horn.

s-l1600.jpg
My vote is for Dyed Horn, because horn has fiber like strands similar to dense hairs. Shell is solid with layers that you only really notice with decades of wear, you shouldn't see any grain. . This is my impression from viewing the surface and the coloration.

because horn has fiber like strands similar to dense hairs. Shell is solid with layers
Yep, this was my thought here also. The straight striations were a big hint. The other one that hit me was if you look at some of the edge damage (bug bites, chips) that overlaps the darker zones, the dark color doesn't remain consistent, it shows lighter un-dyed horn.

Yep, this was my thought here also. The straight striations were a big hint. The other one that hit me was if you look at some of the edge damage (bug bites, chips) that overlaps the darker zones, the dark color doesn't remain consistent, it shows lighter un-dyed horn.
I recently bought an F. Fenny Tally-Ho which I thought was Tortoise when i bought it, but once It got home, I had to do a bit more research to determine that I didn't really know what I was buying at all...

Back