The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Robeson (WR Case connection) History

I am a seventy-seven year old former Army Special Forces Soldier and retired Physician’s Assistant that amassed a 350+ collection of Robeson knives. I also collected self-advertising razors or razors with fancy handles or blade etches.

I created a website in 2006 to display the collection on the internet and to attract other collectors of Robeson Cutlery Company products.

I am now selling the Robeson items, as I have no one to which I can pass them down that have any interest in such history.

I do, however, continue to pursue and collect their Terrier marked items that date 1910 to 1916.

I was doing an internet search for “Robeson Carriage Knife” and one of the matches was this discussion. I started reading and the prose sounded familiar. I checked the original and found it to be verbatim, so I joined your group and simply stated, without belligerence, anger, profanity or accusation, it would have been nice if attribution had been made.

Now that I know the writer was probably second or third or more times removed from whoever copied and pasted the material initially, I extend to him and the group, my apologies.

I have no agenda.

I did attempt to prove the material was mine by posting a link to an internet archive source, though which the website can be accessed and viewed in its entirety That link worked on my PC, so I copied and pasted the URL to my post, but it didn’t work.

I do have Robeson razors to sell, but I think I’ve gotten off on the wrong foot and have antagonized more than a few.

I do not, myself, use a straight razor. Willie Palm tried to get me started in that at one time, but I made a mess of it and abandoned the effort.

I will start from the beginning and read your rules and regulations and make an introduction in the new member forum.

That’s about all that needs to said on my part.

@CNoyes, if I’m understanding correctly you are saying you wrote the content that @Fenster found in the PowerPoint presentation he found on an old Case company computer…if that is the case (no pun intended but I’ll take the point) it is a very cool thing. Since this thread was intended to provide some history about the Robeson and Case relationship if you have more information you can share that would be appreciated. While straight razors are an obvious shared interest here, there are many members who either collect or value quality pocket knives. I personally recall having a couple extended conversations with @Fenster at our TSC convention 2 years ago about Case knives/blades and the company itself, I don’t want to speak for him but I will say Gerry is more than your average Robeson or Case enthusiast.

In regards to shaving with Robeson (or Case) straight razors, being able to shave with a piece of history is one of the big reasons so many of us enjoy Straight razor shaving.

The History page I wrote for my website was written in my words, but the historical information was taken from multiple sources, i.e. Dewey and Lavonna Ferguson in Romance of Collecting Cattaraugus, Robeson, Russell and Queen Knives; Bruce Voyles' American Premium Blade Collector's Association Price Guide To Antique Knives; Tom Kalcevic's Knives Can Talk; and Clark T. Rice and Elizabeth Hiddeman Rice in Historical Wyoming; History of The Robeson Cutlery Company, Days Of The Cutting Edge.

Also utilized anecdotal information and knowledge gleaned from almost twenty years of looking at hundreds, if not thousands, of Robeson knives, memorabilia, factory-to-salesmen communications, etc.

As stated, I do not use a straight razor. I do use Trufitt & Hill Grafton Shave Cream on an Aiden Gill badger brush and my regular three blade razor inserts on a heavy handle.

Back