The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Bellied Hollow / Double Concave 1902 Patent - G.W. Korn Razor

It DOES look a lot like the Korat razor. Cool stuff. When I saw on the advert that the razor was patented in 1902 I immediately wondered how a simple straight razor might be able to patented...what makes the Korn razor so unique it can be granted a patent. Well, the description of the grind and how if compares to and improves on the (then) currently available razors was informative and interesting to read. Now I NEED a Korn razor more than I did before seeing this.

Yeah Eric, that is interesting. @Luecke3262 and I were just talking a few days ago and wondering who actually made Simmons Hardware Razors. I see a fair number of them but I don't recall ever seeing anything about where they were made or who made them. One of the things I have learned in the last 10 years is, What is stamped on the razor/knife is not always proof of who or where it was made. Throughout modern cutlery history, in both the US and Germany, there were a lot of companies doing work for other companies or doing Private Label jobs for other busnesses (ie. harware stores).

Does anyone have info on who made Simmons razors or where?

We know that Korn(Which model though??), Robeson(New Science), and Simmons Hardware(No. 8 Special) made vintage bellied razors. There must be more makers. There are many vintage razors out there with a bellied hollow grind, but they are not marked as such and are only distinguishable by feeling the grind along the face of the blade. I'm not certain that this would qualify as a bellied hollow/double concave? I find that they shave really well

Yeah Eric, that is interesting. @Luecke3262 and I were just talking a few days ago and wondering who actually made Simmons Hardware Razors. I see a fair number of them but I don't recall ever seeing anything about where they were made or who made them. One of the things I have learned in the last 10 years is, What is stamped on the razor/knife is not always proof of who or where it was made. Throughout modern cutlery history, in both the US and Germany, there were a lot of companies doing work for other companies or doing Private Label jobs for other busnesses (ie. harware stores).

Does anyone have info on who made Simmons razors or where?

We know that Korn(Which model though??), Robeson(New Science), and Simmons Hardware(No. 8 Special) made vintage bellied razors. There must be more makers. There are many vintage razors out there with a bellied hollow grind, but they are not marked as such and are only distinguishable by feeling the grind along the face of the blade. I'm not certain that this would qualify as a bellied hollow/double concave? I find that they shave really well

I think I own 7 of them and only 2 of them have enough life left on them to shave with. They are a tremendous razor! Perhaps it was Korn that was producing them or they were being produced under license?

I've often wondered the same thing. I have a few different Simmons and Robeson straights, and they are all excellent shavers. Either whoever made razors for them had really good QC or I've just been lucky. The only one that isn't great is a beautiful looking New Science Concave, and that isn't the fault of the manufacturer. When I went to hone it I quickly discovered that the edge was badly pitted and I wasn't able to hone through it. Still pretty to look at though, and might find a place in display case with other pretty but non-functioning straights.

I've often wondered the same thing. I have a few different Simmons and Robeson straights, and they are all excellent shavers. Either whoever made razors for them had really good QC or I've just been lucky. The only one that isn't great is a beautiful looking New Science Concave, and that isn't the fault of the manufacturer. When I went to hone it I quickly discovered that the edge was badly pitted and I wasn't able to hone through it. Still pretty to look at though, and might find a place in display case with other pretty but non-functioning straights.
83C0836C-5C88-49EF-A0A3-6944E814E6A3.jpeg

Wish me luck, mine should be here tomorrow!

The Number 8 Special was my thought as well...

I thought Simmons was their own deal and thier main line was "Keen Kutter", which was bought by the Winchester Arms Co. when they wanted an in house knife brand.

Back