The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Dark Knight Returns, 37 years on

fhalden

"Like BarberDave… I make my own fun”
In 1986, I was graduating from High School and heading to college. I was 18, and hadn't looked at a comic book since I was probably 13.

Across from my college stood a comic book store, where I bought The Dark Knight Returns. I took it back to my dorm and read it cover to cover. I was aghast. I hated it. I pondered it for a few days, and reread it. By the time I finished it, it was the most important comic book I'd ever encountered. No book, ever, so completely subverted the very mythos it used to tell a Batman story.

Then i bought Watchmen, which was great, and the ball was rolling for the genre.

But over the years of my life, as I revisit Dark Knight Returns periodically, I'm always impressed by how much of that books dystopia I now call home. It's an amazing work.
e586f0daffb466eb25a065b6cb172468.jpg
b260f5ce80582d641ef059c09964a638.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Never had the pleasure to read it. Anything related to the film of the same title?

Never had the pleasure to read it. Anything related to the film of the same title?
It's the inspiration for elements of the Christopher Nolan Trilogy, but the book takes the story so far outside traditional Batman feel that it really couldn't be made into a good movie. It was the first graphic novel of a traditional comic book superhero that created a different, parallel universe for the story to take place in. It's not a "multiverse" type conceit, it's just a Batman, in a different future, dealing with a confluence of his life's personal demons.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back