The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Lisa's Artisan New Formula?

First time out with one of her newest releases MAN (her take on Jimmy Choo Man) in the 8.1 formula with sheep’s milk. A very nice fresh and woody scent vibe out of the tub. The soap is more of a croap but, it leans more to the harder side than soft which I prefer, you can either build from the tub or scoop out your preferred amount. I bowl lather about 95% of the time so I scooped out a nice almond sized dollop and just added water a few drops at a time. This soap really likes water just like most of the upper echelon soaps. This soap is no different as it builds a nice silky and rich type of lather. Not airy or foamy but, very smooth with very little air bubbles with good texture and feel. The scent profile opened up a bit to include also a light fruity freshness and dare I say a light musk or a soft suede leather, almost Sandalwood type aura. Very nice and not overpowering or in your face, subtle but present throughout the whole shave. Performance is right on and top notch giving superb glide and protection. I feel as though that the residual slickness is amped up just a notch. It was already good on her previous formula but, this one felt slightly better. At least on it’s first go. Post shave feel left a very nice and hydrated touch on the skin, very healthy like feeling, smooth and supple to the touch without any dryness. First time out and it was flawless....

BBDBCBCB-8259-4A86-B03D-798FDB2BA229.jpeg

Yesterday I used Lisa’s the ONE shave soap in her 8.1 formula scented after D&G’s The One fragrance for men. Scent out of the tub is an amber and light tobacco sweetness. I began to lather it up and it was just as thirsty as MAN was. I added water a few drops at a time and it produced the same silky smooth feel and texture. One thing is that the scent note stayed very light and almost airy like. Not as strong or present as MAN was. Scent strength is definitely on the lighter side with ONE. That aside, the lather is still wonderfully composed and kind of has a nice and frothy sheen to it. Excellent glide and slickness with a really good post shave feel in suppleness and hydration. No dry feeling at all nor heaviness neither.

FF243275-D23C-415E-8FAB-611D6E2265B3.jpeg
EBD4BD75-C63A-4ACA-BC58-E2A262DD1A94.jpeg
20349941-D113-45FD-AD75-6F9EA9C41379.jpeg

Today’s shave was with the sample that she included, Of The Sea. It’s her take on the fresh and marine like aquatic of Nautica. I don’t know if it’s her Artisan based formula or her latest 8.1 version. Nevertheless, it produced an excellent lather and a very nice fresh and invigorating scent that nearly filled the shave den. Ditto on performance as it layered the face and provided more than enough protection, glide and slickness to get the job done in 2 passes plus a chin buff. Gorgeous scent and if she ever gets a splash for this one, I’m in like Flynn. Excellent post shave attributes and a smooch from the Misses to get the Official Seal of Approval. For me, I’ll be getting a full tub of this one for sure once it’s available.....

A04DBCD1-978E-48EC-A03E-2E1FD17588C6.jpeg

I was able to pick up Lisa's newest soap formula, the 8.1 with Sheep's Milk. This was my first go with the soap and I reserve judgement until I can use it a bit more. Because of the shave themes, I likely won't use it again until next month. But my first impression is that this soap has the potential to be just a little better than Lisa's regular Artisan Shave Soap Version. But that is really hard to say because he other soaps are REALLY good.

I was able to pick up a tub of the "One" soap. According to Lisa, it is inspired by Dolce and Gabbana's The One. Scent notes from the maker are: "Top notes of bergamot, coriander and basil, middle notes of cardamom, ginger and neroli, base notes of cedar ambergris and tobacco." I find that the coriander and cardamom are forward present in this soap, but it's a sweet version of these spices. It is probably the working of the neroli and tobacco giving it a sweetness. To be honest, if I didn't know what the scent notes were...I might think that it was someone's take on a Sandalwood type of soap. Not straight up sandalwood. But someone's interpretation. Normally I would say this scent would be a bit too warm for summer months, but no sir. There is just enough brightness in this to wear in warm or cooler weathers. The scent is good stuff.

I found that the version 8.1 is actually a little more solid in form than Lisa's other version. But I wouldn't say that it's triple milled either. Definitely able to scoop this out of the tub with no issue. I won't go into every detail of the soap performance yet. I still want to play with it a bit. But, initial observations are that this is a VERY thirsty soap. This isn't good or bad...it just is. Residual slickness has always been Lisa's strong suite in her soaps, but I think this soap bumps it up a notch. Same with post shave feel (PSF). The PSF with this soap is fantastic!

All in all...so far so good. This is a really great soap with the potential of being an elite class shave item. Now I am going to have to get the EdT and/or aftershave in this scent.

1587039791273.png

I sure wish someone would give us a thorough review/opinion of the new Barber Shoppe scent. As a borderline ol' geezer I don't cotton to these newer "whippersnapper" style scents. 👨‍🦳

I sure wish someone would give us a thorough review/opinion of the new Barber Shoppe scent. As a borderline ol' geezer I don't cotton to these newer "whippersnapper" style scents. 👨‍🦳
It smells amazing. I get a fresh, slightly sweet, woody scent with just the tiniest powdery note to it.

I sure wish someone would give us a thorough review/opinion of the new Barber Shoppe scent.
We had a huge discussion about its scent in the Anniversary thread. I thought it smelled like CF GTB. Others disagreed.

I just used the TSC second anniversary soap this morning (blame @Cvargo for sending my soap AFTER everyone else got theirs) and I have to say, it was a wonderful experience. Combined with the after shave balm/cream there’s nothing more than you can ask for. Going into the shave All I was really paying attention to was the scent because there had been some conversation about it, but from the moment I loaded to the final rinse I found the soap itself to be a very enjoyable soap. The lather is that kind that is low and dense, almost like a whipped lotion more than a foamy lather (the kind I think we all enjoy). The scent strength was enough to keep circling back as you shaved, rinsed and re-lathered. The lather got plenty slick with more water and took on more water with ease.
As far as scent, I found it bright and sweet, leaning toward citrus without being straight up citrus. Not having a real nose for this but having some ability to pretend I do, I would say maybe Bergamot, lemon & Orange zest with some more earthy/woody stuff like white patchouli and cedar. Maybe other spice or something that give it that feel in the back of the throat (I don’t think there’s any leather but if it’s there it’s a light kind). The scent is barber shoppey with 2 p’s and and an “e” though.

I say pick some of this soap up, either this scent or one of the others. The experience is worth having. Great work @LNHC this soap (and that post shave stuff) are great.

edit: ok, if I weren’t so simple minded I could have actually READ Lisa’s scent notes rather than made up my own. So weknow there isn’t any leather and yes there is some white patchouli and bergamot as well as basil. Cedar is probably in my head and the citrus is unconfirmed. But it’s still a great scent and a fantastic soap.

Last edited:
I have her new formula in "One" and I really like the stuff. I am waiting to shave with a couple of times more before I do an extensive review. Out side of the scent, which I absolutely love, the formula is even better than her last one (if that is even possible)!

...The scent is barber shoppey with 2 p’s and and an “e” though...

s1EkDFI.jpg

This is an excellent performing soap. Lisa’s latest sheep’s milk formula and it is just as good as her previous formulations but, this is slightly easier to load and build a gorgeous lather. Not that her other soaps weren’t quick latherer, as they are but, this version seems easier at least to me. Extremely protective lather what a clean post shave finish. The scent from Ocean Mist is a clean, aquatic vibe that is fresh and slightly sweet. Definitely a unisex flavor to this soap as both man or a woman can use this shave soap equally in their shave routine.

I’m about to go on a soap shave & compare run with Lisa’s own line ups from her herbal based soaps to her latest premium base soaps. Just out of curiosity for me to see if there are any differences in each soap base and what they amount to in overall performance. It’s going to be a nice shave run through of this soap artisans great offerings...

9F02B38D-30F6-45FC-9D53-07D523C9EBD0.jpeg

Back